Tuesday 24 April 2012

Media As Coursework Evaluation Question 7

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the final product?

In my preliminary task I had no experience in Photoshop and very limited understanding on the structure and common key features of music magazines. As I had just started media as a subjects I had completed this preliminary task with very little amount of skill on Photoshop and was limited to constructing the task with a hotshot with lower photography and editing skills consisting of around 15 photos which I found was not enough to work with and select form when constructing a magazine when it came to making a magazine and the fact that I had no idea how to edit a photo contributed to this problem additionally. My photos were on the location in which I used for a couple of my photo in my final coursework and I also  felt the background was necessary to contribute the urban style of my magazine and the theme of the ‘Underground’ title since it was taken a train station. This is something I kept for my final product and with gaining knowledge on how to edit my photographs I edited and added effects to these photos for my final piece.
When I started my preliminary task I did some basic planning, I drew sketches of what I wanted it to look like in order to create a foundation and a template to work from. Found this was helpful because it guided me in the direction of how I wanted my school magazine to go, however I had very little knowledge on how to structure a magazine so I felt the preliminary task lacked a level of professionalism due to the fact I hadn’t broadened my knowledge on common structures of magazines. Also due to a limited short amount of time spent on the task I was unable to perfect and improve the standard, however this was not an issue with my final coursework since we had a longer time period to work in, therefore allowing me to produce to a much higher quality. So overall I did a basic level of planning of the colour scheme, sell lines, contents ideas for my preliminary product which I then used a starting point for final product allowing me to elaborate greatly.
I think one of the prominent progression of this course was the improvement of my Photoshop skills which is evident when I compare my preliminary task to my final, this was accomplished by watching many tutorials on Photoshop to help perfect my skills in order to benefit my final magazine. As you can see from looking at my preliminary task, I made a simple masthead using bevel and a stroke around it  however for my final piece I wanted to challenge myself and I developed and mastered an image based master head which acted as a logo for my magazine.. This took time and effort, however I like the London underground themed outcome which makes it look interesting and original which also fitted in nicely with the ‘Underground’ tittle and therefore it has a unique selling point. I feel my skills of editing improved vastly which you can tell form my preliminary and contact sheets this helped give my work a more professional level of quality and added positively tot the overall outcome of my work.

In the preliminary task I did not use many photos whereas in my final I used many photos which I then edited to improve my overall quality. I also experimented with different camera shots and angles and with many muse en scenes to improve the overall outcome. I also spent a great deal to consider my colour scheme which is evident in my final work, particularly in my double page spread.
 Furthermore I felt I needed more detail in the content of my magazine, especially in my double page spread. Therefore I did a great deal of research for my double page spread which is evident on my blog. I felt the double page spread is one of the most important sections in delivering a quality of detail and content. I also added variety in the style of writing, with both a biography and interview which was in popular demand from my target audience. 







No comments:

Post a Comment